- Washed dried sprats – about 100 sprats
- Shallots – 1 Cup
- Green chillis – 10
- Ground mustard – 1 table spoon
- Ground Chilli – 1 tea spoon
- Turmeric powder -1 tea spoon
- Ground pepper -1 tea spoon
- Salt – according to the taste
- Sugar – according to the taste
- Coconut vinegar – 1/4 cup
- Coconut oil – 4 Cups
Add oil into a pan and keep for several minutes under mid flame. Then add dried sprats to the oil and deep fry them. After that add Shallots to it and fry again for 2 minutes. Now off the flame of the cooker and add green chillis to it and fry for several seconds.
Get an another pan (it is better if can get a clay pot as using in Sri Lanka) and add vinegar to it. When boiling vinegar add ground chilli, ground pepper, turmeric powder, salt and sugar mix well.
Finally add fried dried sprats, green chillis and shallots to the mixture. Keep it under low flame until vinegar gets disappear.Now turn off the flame of the cooker and keep the pan with the mixture for an one hour time. Great, you are done!!! Now you can serve it or keep it for later use 🙂
FYI – Here is another very popular southern sri lankan dish if you like to try – http://slfoodie.com/2017/05/15/maalu-ambul-thiyal/